Friday, May 14, 2010

Life on the Streets: Day 3 – Part 1

Day: Thursday
Time: 1640
Location: Train from Circular Quay to Central

Photobucket


Slept for at least 2 solid and undisturbed hours.

It = Amazing.

Before going to sleep I worked on my sign for begging. It is already late in the day so I might not beg today. Plus I have a little of the $50 left for today’s dinner. I need a can when I start my begging. Might find the cheapest canned good at Coles or Woolys that has a popped top. A fruit salad would be good. I need something healthier then grilled chicken and chips.

On the dock at Pyrmont Bay, Darling Harbor, I had a nice chat in Spanish with an old Columbian woman and her three year old grandson who, despite growing up in Australia with a Kiwi mother, speaks GREAT Spanish. It was SO good to talk to someone and them be impressed rather than disgusted. She and the kid sat next to me and she was speaking in Spanish to him, so that is when I asked in Spanish, “How old is he?” All the people I’ve talked to in Spanish in Sydney have mentioned how well I speak it for an American. I think they are full of shit and just being nice… but I’ll take any compliment I can get.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Day: Thursday
Time: 1708
Location: Noonas

Photobucket


Talking to Masar. Just ordered chicken and chips again. Told him about finding the homeless shelter and the decision not to stay. Girl who I sat across from on train looked like one of the women at the law firm I worked at (but my age version). Sigh… seeing Cacie was one of the best parts of the day. If I wasn’t homeless, I might have gone for a drink with her.

Such is life.




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Day: Thursday
Time: 1803
Location: Noonas


Masar’s daughter is 43 days old. I love the way his whole face lights up when he talks about her. All parents should be like that. Maybe if they were, what kind of world would we live in? With that much self esteem from knowing we are loved…

How would that knowledge affect our lives and our choices?

Would we have as many ODs?

Would we have as many homeless?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe in free speech, but, come on people, let's display a proper level of Netiquette