Friday, May 14, 2010

Life on the Streets: Day 5 – Part 2

Day: Sunday
Time: 0017
Location: Noonas

Photobucket


Ya, so I made it back into the Cross, and It’s like the Hott girl factory made to many and dumped it’s overstock in here.

Oh King’s Cross… how I love thee…

Watching cops watch a cat fight in the middle of the street while some British girl steals a slice of my pizza and I talk to a Canadian over the sound of really loud techno.

So one of the reason’s I had for staying out of the Cross was a “safety” issue. Now I suppose with the cops just doing enough, and the mafia still fairly rampant, you could say there was good cause for concern. Then I’m here, and I see homeless at the same table as well dressed people and they are talking together. Earlier I saw this one homeless guy walk out of Maccas sharing fries with this amazingly beautiful woman (then they walked into an adult bookstore). Really, it seems like poor is the way to be in the Cross, especially when you also consider the number of hostels in the Cross.

A lot of people can say a lot of bad things about this area, but I love it. They treat the poor well, and it is a part of Sydney where an American, Brits, Germans, can have Italian style pizza made by Iraqis.

Oh ya… and you get to watch cat fights in the middle of the street.




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Day: Sunday
Time: 0112
Location: Hyde Park – southwest of fountain

Photobucket


I’m not going to lie… seeing the ratio of drunken sexy women to men… it took EVERY fiber of will power to walk out of the Cross right now.

I felt like a fat kid on a diet at an all you can eat buffet. Every weekend in the Cross is a little piece of Spring Break.

All I wanted to do was walk ino the hostel, take a long shower, change, grab my debit card, and be like “Taking the night off from the experiment everyone!”

Homelessness, especially in my case where I don’t know the natives, is isolating. I miss people. The thing that is worse is that they are all around me but don’t want this association.

Think I will continue north to the Opera House.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Day: Sunday
Time: 0211
Location: Circular Quay – Wharf 4

Photobucket



Day 5 is half way done.

Searched online for churches in Sydney. Found a Baptist church near King’s Cross, did not however get service times. So I’ll either be awake and make it on time, or fall asleep at the last moment and totally miss it.

Now, I know some of you are probably thinking…
“Edward? A Baptist church? But you hate Baptist?!”

Well first off!

No… I don’t “hate”, I just think they are about the second most judgmental and prejudice denomination in Christianity (2nd of course only to Pentecostals)

So I want to test run a group of christians. When a homeless guy walks in, what do they do?

That makes the thought of being awake worth it.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Day: Sunday
Time: 0451
Location: Circular Quay Train station


Fell asleep in park overlooking Opera House and Bridge.

Photobucket


It was great until wind picked up. Don’t know about church service right now… just woke up and ankle is already hurting a bit.

I woke up and heard the subway in the distance and new it was after 4 am. But with the amount of light in sky, I also know it was before 5:30.

It’ll be good to be on board and sleep.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Day: Sunday
Time: 0712
Location: Campbelltown Train Station

Photobucket


I don’t know where I am.

Obviously, I’m in Campbelltown… but I couldn’t show you on a map.

I got on the train, found a seat in the corner and fell asleep. Then didn’t wake up till just a minute or so ago when it came to a complete stop.

So now I get to sleep the whole way BACK on a train.

It = awesome.

Don’t think the church service will happen. I’m somewhat ok with that. Wasn’t really looking forward to being around a bunch of Baptists anyway.



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Day: Sunday
Time: 0944
Location: Harbor Side Darling Harbor

Photobucket


My trip back to Sydney was nowhere as nice as my trip to Campbelltown was, but I’m back now.

It is hard to believe I only have a little more than two days left.

It feels like an eternity.

Time goes by so slow… it’s ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I believe in free speech, but, come on people, let's display a proper level of Netiquette